Start Content

Legal Advice VS Legal Information

Lady Justice


Since the office of the County Clerk often deals with the legal processes, it makes sense that you would come to us for advice on certain issues.  Legal matters are frequently complicated and often require the assistance of an attorney. We are happy to file documents or locate records, but please understand we cannot answer questions about legal matters.  All employees of the Walker County Clerk's Office are prohibited by law from offering legal advice to customers. Texas Government Code 81.101

There are several reasons why this should be the case: It is important that clerks remain neutral in the administration of legal matters.
  • We cannot determine what is in the best interest of the court user.

  • We cannot share information unequally, nor can we give advice or information that favors one side or another in a legal matter.

  • Most importantly, only licensed attorneys may give legal advice.

What Is Legal Advice?

Legal information and legal advice can both be useful in many different situations. However, it is important to know when you need one or the other. Legal advice can only be provided by a licensed attorney. Legal advice is when an attorney applies his or her legal expertise to your specific fact situation, and tells you how you should proceed. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Drafting or revising official legal documents
  • Representing a person before a court or other government institution
  • Creates duties or responsibilities for the person offering advice
  • Affects the rights or responsibilities of the person seeking advice

What Is Legal Information?

Legal information, on the other hand, can be given by anyone who is knowledgeable on the law. It is simply a statement of what the law is, without any application to your particular situation, leaving up to you the decision of how to proceed. Given the costs associated with hiring a lawyer, it is good to know when you need legal advice, and when you simply need legal information.

If you need assistance in finding legal services, please look for Attorneys in your local phone book or follow one of the links below.