Start Content
JP3 Defensive Driving Information back  
Date of Record: June 25, 2012




If you were charged with a moving violation other than speeding 24 or more miles over the posted speed limit, you may be able to require that this charge be dismissed by taking a driving safety course. The Driver's Safety Course is not an option for anyone with a Commercial Driver's License. However, you will lose that right if you do not provide WRITTEN REQUEST to the Court on or before your appearance date. DO NOT take the Driver's Safety Course until you have received permission from the Court.


Qualifications for Driving Safety Course

  1. You must have a valid Class C Texas Driver's License
  2. Your driving record, maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety, must not indicate you have successfully completed a driving course within the past twelve (12) months.
  3. You have current liability insurance.
  4. You were not exceeding 24 miles or more over the posted speed limit at the time of the offense.
  5. You were not speeding in a construction zone while workers were present.

If you were charged with the following offenses you DO NOT qualify for dismissal of your offense by means of a Driver's Safety Course.

  • Sec. 545.066 passing a school bus
  • Sec. 545.421 fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer
  • Sec. 550.022 accident involving damage to vehicle
  • Sec. 550.023 duty to give information and render aid
  • Sec. 522.033 serious traffic violation which concerns a commercial motor vehicle

Instructions to Request Driver's Safety Course

Send a written request on or before your appearance date accompanied by a self addressed stamped envelope. If the postal mark is dated after the appearance date your request will be denied.

You should receive further instructions from this Court within seven to ten days after your request was mailed to this Court. If not, it will be your responsibility to contact this Court requesting the status of your request.


DO NOT take the Driver's Safety Course until you have received permission from the court.